Most event attendees expect an app these days – and most organisers want one too. But are apps worth the investment? What are the most popular app features with attendees? How are organisers promoting apps to maximise adoption? And how are they measuring results?
Research Study: The ROI of Event Apps
A new research study by Eventsforce this month has found that attendee engagement is the top reason 81% of organisations invest in event apps but difficulties in measuring ROI, low adoption rates and the complexity of launching apps are still limiting efforts.
The ‘ROI of Event Apps’ study, conducted with over 190 event planners across the US and UK, also shows that despite a 50-75% attendee adoption rate for most apps, 67% of organisers see little value in using apps once an event is over.
Some of the other findings include:
- More than 1 in 2 organisations are already using apps around their events – but price and roll-out time remain the biggest barriers to adoption
- 39% of organisers can’t measure the ROI of event apps – other challenges include slow launch times, low adoption rates and issues in data transfers
- TOP event app features used by attendees include sessions and speakers info, personalised schedules and maps/floorplans
- Attendee engagement is TOP reason organisations use event apps – other reasons include providing updates on changes in agendas/schedules (57%) and saving money on printed programmes (41%)
- Email is seen as the TOP marketing platform for promoting event apps
- Nearly 4 in 5 organisers market their apps in the months leading up to the event – yet most attendees download the app on the day
- Adoption rates, survey feedback and in-app engagement are the top metrics for measuring event app ROI
For a more comprehensive look at the results of ‘The ROI of Event Apps’ research study, take a look at the infographic below:
Sign up to our EventTech Talk newsletter for tips, updates and research reports on all the latest technology and marketing trends shaping the events industry today.