Infographic: Are Your Events Ready for GDPR
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is one of the most important changes facing our industry today as it is set to radically change the way events globally collect, process and protect the personal information of people in the EU. But with just a few months to go until the May 2018 deadline, how ready are we really for Europe’s new data protection law?
Read: The Event Planner’s Guide to GDPR Compliance
Eventsforce conducted a research study with 120 event professionals earlier this month to assess the industry’s current state of ‘readiness’ for GDPR. The study investigates where event planners stand in terms of their understanding of the new legislation, what steps they’re taking to get ready for the new requirements and the kind of challenges and opportunities they feel GDPR will bring to their organisations in the long-run.
Have a look at some of the key findings from the ‘Are Your Events Ready for GDPR’ study:
- 2 in 3 event planners don’t understand all the requirements of GDPR despite 60% holding responsibility for compliance
- Nearly 90% are already underway with their GDPR preparations but many concerned about meeting the May 2018 deadline
- Creating awareness, running data audits and updating consent boxes on registration forms and websites are key steps event planners are currently undertaking
- Data security will become a bigger priority for 81% of event planners, yet less than 30% have updated their data security practices or prepared for a data breach (Download eBook: The Event Planner’s Guide to Data Security in a Post-GDPR World‘)
- Only 41% of event planners say their event technology systems meet the new GDPR requirements
- 45% are concerned they will lose a large chunk of their marketing mailing lists as a result of GDPR
- Perceived long-term benefits of GDPR include better data management, transparency with suppliers and improved reputation with attendees
For a more comprehensive look at the results of the ‘Are Your Event Ready for GDPR’ research study, please see the infographic below:
Enjoyed reading this article? Sign up to our EventTech Talk newsletter for similar insights and weekly updates and advice on the latest technology trends, discussions and debates shaping the events industry today.